Monday 4 August 2014

Five simple steps for fabulous feet

We all love us some sunshine, right? Sunshine means sandals, strappy shoes and flip-flops. It also means an abundance of feet that really would be better off hidden in boots (not mine I hasten to add!).

There is possibly nothing worse than catching a glimpse of someone's foot that resembles a decaying dinosaur. Hard, dry, nasty, grey, cracked skin is *not* a good look. 

I really don't have much spare time being a mum of two, but it only takes minutes, a few times a week, to keep your feet baby soft and totally presentable. Once your feet are good to go keeping them like that is easy. 

Here are 5 steps I love to follow to get the perfect pinkies.

Whilst soaking my feet in the bath, or in a bowl of soapy hot water I love using a purpose made foot scrub. The grains are much bigger/more scrubby than body exfoliators so get to work much better on the thicker skin on your feet.
The Sanctuary Spa Pumice Foot Scrub feels lovely and is cooling and refreshing. Get yourself a foot scrub and, well, give your feet a good old scrub. 

Next it's time to remove that dry skin! I enjoy using the Micro Pedi. This is basically an electric foot file with a rotating abrasive 'mineral' roller that removes dry skin like a dream, no elbow grease required. Just hold it on and slowly move it across any rough or hard patches.
I find this much more effective than a traditional manual foot file or Ped-egg (besides who can actually be bothered to do all that filing?).

The first time you use it really take your time to remove every last bit of dry skin. Once you've done that you'll only need to use it for a minute or so in future uses to maintain the softness. 

Once my feet have been buffed to an inch of their lives I like to follow up with a moisturiser. Again, those made specifically for feet are the best as they tend to be thicker and heavier. Two of my faves are the Avon Foot Works Beautiful deep moisture cream and Palmer's Foot Magic. 

Avon Foot Works contains glycerine and cocoa butter but the best bit is the massager applicator. You squeeze a little out and use the bumpy base to rub and massage it in. It sinks in fast so great for daytime use. Plus it feels goooood. 

The Palmer's Foot Magic is definitely a nighttime only treat. It contains vitamin E, peppermint oil and mango butter but it's as slippery as a seal. (Are seals slippery?!).
The first time I used this I didn't like it, in fact I absolutely hated it. This isn't a cream, it's a very thick, extremely greasy, balm. (Yes, I used too much and nearly went bum-over-boobie when I stood up on my wooden floor). I ended up having to wipe it off so that I could walk.
See what I mean about the greasy balm? Saying that I didn't give up on it. The back of the tube says "especially effective when applied to feet at night then covered with cotton socks". 
The next time I used it I did as I was told. Low and behold when I woke my feet resembled those of a new born baby. If you can bare going to sleep in socks this really is worth it. If that sounds like too much effort use the smallest amount, literally a pinhead amount and rub, rub, rub. 

Next I like using a drop or two of cuticle oil a few days a week. I like the ones with little brushes the best as you can just quickly slap it on around your nails and just leave it if you so wish. You're supposed to rub it in but if you haven't got time then don't! I just apply it and leave it. I like the Avon Lavender cuticle oil, the Sanctuary Spa Nail & Cuticle oil and OPI Avoplex. 

Finally is good old nail polish. It's an obvious but an oh-so-necessary step. Nail varnish on my toes always lasts so much longer than on my finger nails, thank gawd. If you've got the time use a base coat and top coat for super staying power. 

You can always get away with wearing a much brighter colour on your toes I think, even if you're a fan of nudes on your fingernails. Don't be shy. Experiment with some colour! 

I love me some pink, it's a colour I reach for the most. (Top tip, if you've used a foot cream and/or cuticle oil swipe a cotton pad soaked with nail varnish remover over your nails before you paint them). 

The polishes in the picture are: OPI in Kiss me on my tulips', Barry M Gelly Hi Shine nail paint in 'Dragon', Sally Hansen Hi-Definition in '09 Byte' & Marks and Spencer's Autograph Ultimate Wear in 'Purple'. 

So there you go. No excuse for ork-feet now. If you think still think those 5 simple steps are too much faff go with just the filing, a bit of cream and a splash of colour. Trust me, it's so worth it! 

Keep your foot cream and cuticle oil by your bed. For some reason keeping it here reminds me to use it. I pop some on before bed time a good few times a week. 

What's your favourite foot product or nail colour? 

Love Emma
XOXO  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...