Wednesday 8 October 2014

Nuts for Coconuts

Coconut Oil uses in beauty - The Daily Rumble
I am a huge coconut fan. I love the taste but love how it smells even more. Candles, soap, shower gel, you name it and I've probably got it. I was first introduced to the wonders of coconut oil about 9 months ago and since then I've been reaching for it on a weekly basis. 

Yes, you can use it in cooking but I use it solely as an all natural beauty product. Coconut oil has countless uses but I'd thought I'd share my favourite few with you today. 

Firstly, where can you buy coconut oil? You can pretty much pick up a jar of the good stuff in any large supermarket or health food store. I get mine in Holland & Barratt, 453g for £15.49. It initial sounds quite pricey but this large jar lasts a long long time so it's actually fantastic value.

Coconut Oil uses in beauty - The Daily Rumble
Coconut oil is solid in room temperature but dissolves quickly and easily with bodily contact. The brand I buy contains 100% pure oil and that's what you're after. 
Coconut Oil uses in beauty - The Daily Rumble
Coconut Oil uses in beauty - The Daily Rumble
My number one use is as an intensive hair treatment. The night before my hair is due a wash I massage a large palm full of melted oil into my ends, adding it in bit by bit until it's fully saturated. I then twist my hair into a bun and leave it in overnight. The next morning after washing (making sure I carefully double shampoo to remove all the oil) my hair is ever so soft, silky and shiny. It really gives your hair the ultimate moisture boost without weighing it down and best of all it's completely natural. If you don't fancy sleeping in it just add it in 20 mins or so before you wash it for a quick moisture treat.

Coconut oil also makes an incredible body moisturiser. Not only does it smell amazing it also conditions your skin beautifully. Less is more when applying it to the body. A tiny dot goes a long way. 
Great for extra dry patches on elbows, knees or even feet. Ideal as an after-sun too, it leaves a lovely shine to the skin. Perfect for dry cuticles or anywhere that needs a little extra TLC. Scoop a little out of the jar and rub it in. Easy! 

I also take a blob and use it when shaving my legs. It makes the razor glide like a dream and moisturises at the same time. Double success right there.

I loved using it during my pregnancy when the skin on my stomach got tight and itchy. It's also good to know you're not pilling on a chemical filled product too.  

Dogs need some oily lovin' too! I read that it's great for conditioning a dog's coat, along with making them smell like a piña colada! I couldn't wait to rub in into Buddy, my chihuahua. It did condition his coat really well but he couldn't resist the tropical smell and spent the rest of the day trying to lick it off. Probably best to use it on less greedy canines, but it does absolutely work, his fur was shiny and soft before he scoffed it all off!  

Coconut oil is a great all round moisturising product which is simple & easy to use. Pick a jar up when you're next out and give it a go. 

Do you use coconut oil? What's your favourite use? 

Read a Tried & Tested featuring Makeup Revolution's Amazing Lipsticks here.

I'm off to condition my tresses! 
Love Emma
XOXO   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...